Clergy, Staff & Leadership
Clergy, Staff & Vestry
The Rev. Judy Webb Davis
Priest in Charge
The Rev. Judy Webb Davis serves as our Priest in Charge, joining our staff in April of 2019. Judy’s first call was in lay ministry. She became involved in various ways at her home church, with a particular love of worship, healing and reconciliation. Prior to entering seminary, Judy’s work life was in management and administration. After years of discernment that included work as a massage therapist, Judy entered Virginia Theological Seminary and began her journey in ordained ministry serving St. Andrew’s Oregon Hill and All Saints Episcopal Church.
Judy holds that ministry is a shared journey in relationship with each other and in relationship with God. She looks forward to meeting everyone at Emmanuel and discovering how we might love and serve the Lord together. She is available by phone 804.266.2431 (church) or 804.919.9122 (cell).
Trudy Bavolack has been employed by Emmanuel Church since June 2001, first as a part time Financial Coordinator, and now as a full-time Parish Administrator. She has an associate’s degree (cum laude) in Business from J. Sargeant Reynolds as well as a B.S. in Business Administration and Management and an M.B.A., both from Virginia Commonwealth University. She lives in Goochland County on the family farm. She and her husband Danny have two daughters – Jessica, who lives in Northern Virginia with her husband Matt, and Maggie, who lives in Richmond. Trudy enjoys reading and watching British television.
John Mothershead was born in Richmond County on a farm in the Northern Neck. He grew up there and left after finishing high school to come to the big city and attend the University of Richmond. After getting his degree, he went to work for the Boys Club of Richmond for 10 years. Leaving the Boys Club, he went to work for Henrico County Public Schools as Assistant Director of Pupil Transportation and held that position for 23 years. Taking early retirement, he decided to drive a school bus and finally left the county after working for them for 39 years. He has been married to his wife, Jean, for 54 years. They have 4 children and 11 grandchildren. In his spare time, he loves to be at his river place “Eden Breeze” on the Rappahannock River where he likes to garden, do yard work and fish.
Kimberly Aylor is our part time Communications Coordinator. After spending over 20 years in the fast-paced corporate world she decided it was time for a change. She has enjoyed working in the Episcopal church recently and is excited to be here at Emmanuel. Kimberly grew up in Richmond and attended The Governor’s School and VCU. Go Rams! She now lives in Glen Allen with her husband, daughter and two labs. In her free time, she enjoys baking, crafting and traveling.
Lin Tyler joined our staff in September 2017 as Sexton. She is retired from the Richmond Police Department as a Sergeant after 28 years and professes to have a love for cleaning. Lin lives happily on a small farm in Hanover with an array of animals which include donkeys, goats, pigs, dogs, cats and birds. She spends most of her time tending the animals and raising specialty breed chickens.
Jerome Johnson is a published author of his first book titled “Nightman” and owns his own janitorial service. He has been the Sexton at Emmanuel for over 20 yeras, and recently entered partial retirement. He and his wife Sharon live in Sandston.
Salima is currently enrolled at VCU and pursuing my degree in Biology. Salima loves being able to work with kids and is excited to be able to make a positive impact on their lives. Salima has three younger sisters and is the eldest of 29 grandchildren – giving Salima the chance to learn the best ways to enjoy time with them while also teaching them life lessons. She has volunteered in her church’s children’s ministry for many years before moving to Richmond for college. In her free time, Salima loves listening to music, watching anime, and cosplaying!
Hannah is a junior at VCU and is in the progress of majoring in Psychology and minoring in Criminal Justice. She enjoys working with children and has done so since the age of thirteen, at which time she began to volunteer with the Kindergarten class at the elementary school in her hometown. Hannah has been in Richmond for two years and enjoys the city very much. In her spare time she volunteers at the MCV Hospital and the Boys & Girls Club, goes on runs and hammocks at Belle Isle, and watches some of her favorite shows.
Hank Milligan, Senior Warden
Ed Dalton, Junior Warden
Marilyn Malone, Registrar
Lilly Weber, Treasurer
Ed Dalton, Assistant Treasurer
Emmanuel Church began in 1859 with services being held in the 1787 school/free church called “The Brook” near present day Dumbarton and Brook Roads. The Rev. Richard Hooker Wilmer held services there until the present-day church was built. John Stewart of Brook Hill donated the land, the funds to build the church and supported the minister with the help of his brother Daniel Kerr Stewart. The Right Reverend John Johns consecrated and named the Gothic Revival style church “Emmanuel,” God with Us on July 6, 1860. The 200-seat capacity church was known as The Little Church in the Pine Woods because it set back off of Brook Road in a grove of pines.
During the Civil War, troops from both sides camped on the grounds when traveling on the Brook Turnpike. There is a Confederate Cemetery within the church graveyard. The church weathered the war with only minor vandalism occurring at the end when the northern troops were returning home.
The Joseph Bryan Building, constructed in the English Tudor style, was built on the property in 1910 to be used as a parish hall, offices and parochial school. The school remained open until 1950. In 2007 the building was refurbished and renamed the Bryan Education Center. In 1957, a new parish hall and offices were added to the left side of the church with a breezeway connecting them.